Wednesday 23 April 2014

Class # 3

Unlocking the Potential

I am definitely becoming increasingly appreciative of whats been happening in class so far. Technology and I are not overly close, and I tend to struggle and fight using technology to the best of its ability in my classroom. This course has absolutely changed the way I view technology and has made me much more confident in only three classed. My only regret is that I am now on maternity leave and feel disappointed that I won't be able to ably most of what I've learned until next May. 

My teaching assignment, which is grade 5 French immersion, comes with a few flaws. Even though my school offers the program, there is no French resource available of any kind. In the past, students who began to struggle in the program or who were diagnosed with a learning disability would switch out of the program and would enter the English stream. Recently though, there are more and more students staying with their French studies, which is definitely a welcomed sight. The struggle now is to figure out how to support them with limited support, especially in comparison to their English counterparts. I am very thankful for this course, which has helped introduce me to simple iPad features I had not known about, but also to new apps that can assist my students in achieving success in a program that might otherwise be out of their reach. 

My group, which included Michelle, Jeremy, and Joey, decided to watch the "New Apps for Learning Disabilties" webinar. Our choice was based on the fact that LDs affect us the most in our teaching experience and we could apply what we would learn from the session more effectively. I personally really enjoyed the webinar, I learned a lot about some pretty impressive apps.   



No comments:

Post a Comment