Sunday 8 June 2014

Article # 6

Programs in Practice: Differentiated Instruction: Begin with Teachers!

The article describes the implementation of differentiation teacher evaluations made at a school in Ohio. A team of teachers undergo changes to their self-assessment to include differentiated methods. As for most school's, there is were a few reluctant teachers not up for the challenge. I found it interesting to read that differentiated techniques were used to bring certain teachers along with the implementation process, clever!

I connected with this process immediately. It resembles very much the evaluation process in the school board, not sure if it is provincially used, I would expect it is. Throughout the evaluation process in this article, teachers are encourages to set teaching goals that focus on differentiated practices. Once goals are met, a plan is discussed to how the teacher will meet that goal. What resources are needed, who will be helpful to you, PD, etc.

Again, this is perhaps the article topic that closest relates to my teaching experience since it reflects self-evaluation practices that have been in place in my board for several years already. I find the process useful in terms of guiding my practice and setting needed goals for myself. I'll admit I growl about having to complete them at the time, only because things are already so busy. However once I have them my goals set I and my plan in place, its becomes a part of my teaching and I enjoy taking steps to becoming successful in reaching my goals. There are obviously endless benefits for my students as well. Teachers who have goals set will not become stagnant and will continue to push themselves to become better teachers.    
  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment